Saturday, July 26, 2008

Celebrating~ Blessed and Breaking Through






“Consult not your fears but your hopes and your dreams. Think not about your frustrations, but about your unfulfilled potential. Concern yourself not with what you tried and failed in, but with what it is still possible for you to do.”


—Pope John XXIII (1881-1963), 261st Pope of the Roman Catholic Church
www foundationforabetterlife.org

~

I really don't think life is about the I-could-have-beens. Life is only about the I-tried-to-do. I don't mind the failure but I can't imagine that I'd forgive myself if I didn't try."


-Nikki Giovanni , Poet, Author, Extraordinary Human Being, Lecturer, Activist


http://www.famouspoetsandpoems.com/poets/nikki_giovanni/quotes



Friends the honor was all mine; it was a surreal moment my holding the hand of one of the Moton School Student Protestors ( a spry senior citizen), meeting Julian Bond up close, taking a photo with Blair Underwood and chatting with the incomparable, esteemed, noble, tremendous poetess sister Nikki Giovanni. I really wanted to jump up and down and scream, “Nikki, Nikki it’s really you in the flesh!” -but I think, well I’d like to believe that I was very composed as my husband and step daughter stood at the book signing table and smiled at wonderful Nikki.I had no clue that I’d be so privileged to have this divine encounter with one of my favorite poets! She was extremely cordial to us as we reminisced about our love for her poetry It’s My House and her spoken word album and how during our college days her words ignited our hearts on and on and on.

Just an hour or so earlier she had dazzled our souls again, as she had given a heart rendering, heart clapping, heart song of a powerful celebratory poem honoring the wonderful and timely occasion saluting the unsung children who were heroines and heroes of the Virginia Civil Rights Movement. This historic occasion was an important moment in time and there we were witnessing the unveiling of a Civil Rights Monument that beautifully honored some very courageous youngsters that marched out of a segregated school causing this very act to snowball nationally into the Brown vs. Board of Education. Some of the surviving students that had been grade schoolers which protested shabby treatment and a substandard education, now stood proudly before the world being honored and validated as change agents in this national the Civil Rights Movement! These fearless children now seasoned senior citizens are a testament that God does honor His own.

Well friends I can’t share an audio, but I certainly can share this link http://www.vacivilrightsmemorial.org/memorial/render/ and hope you’ll take the time to marvel at this very historical occasion and possibly venture out of your comfort zones to downtown Richmond,Virginia’s Capitol Square -find your way to this historic monument and converse with your travel companions and the other onlookers about the significance of placing a memorial depicting individuals from all walks of life ( especially the young African American girl leading the way) - hopeful, courageous, and insightful moving through the stony walls of all of societies ills and biases. I’d like to believe with you also that a new day in dawning! No this isn't simply symbolish, but a new reality and a new opportunity to celebrate a national movement, the pioneers and the significance of a child's vision!

We can without reluctance embrace the notion that God does delight us and awaken us with wonderful occasions to celebrate our humanity and dignity and even witness in the flesh another phenomenal human being, another heart lesson for our good. To all the change agents who seek to live a better life and make a difference- I praise God for you!!! Take a bow Nikki, take a bow Julian, and take a bow all who know that the spirit of Barbara Johns that lives within us!



…the Lord who created you says: "Do not be afraid, for I have ransomed you. I have called you by name; you are mine. When you go through deep waters and great trouble, I will be with you. When you go through rivers of difficulty, you will not drown! When you walk through the fire of oppression, you will not be burned up; the flames will not consume you. For I am the Lord, your God, the Holy One of Israel, your Savior.
Isaiah 43: 1-3

Lord thank you! What a day, what a day, I lift my hands in praise to you!!!

Joyfully Submitted by Linda Mose Meadows

The Blessedness of Believing-
A Devotional Journey of Life’s Lessons and God’s Promises
blessedlm@hotmail.com

All rights reserved, no use without prior written permission of Linda M. Meadows

No comments:

You’ve Got A Friend

  One of my favorite  songs is: “You’ve Got A Friend (originally by Carole King with Roberta Flack ) This song came rushing to my mind as I ...