Thursday, January 10, 2008

Filling In

And so, since God in his mercy has given us this wonderful ministry,
we never give up. 2Cr 4:1

Before I realized it, I was picking myself up. I didn’t even have time to think,
“No this can’t be happening at work?”

As I was falling, I could see myself, it felt like I was witnessing a slow motion picture, but instead of the star role being acted out by someone else it was me. I had no control over what was occurring- it was a surreal moment at 2pm in the afternoon on the steps of Phenix Hall.

I really believed or no maybe I thought I had caught myself, but my dusty pant leg revealed another truth. My feet and upper body weren’t in sync- they didn’t cooperate as I held on to the banister just momentarily before my fall. I realized it was much too late. It wasn’t a terrible fall, but I knew it wasn’t a pretty sight. A student that stood at the bulletin board pretended not to see my fall. I knew she saw, and heard the thud. Silently I thanked her for letting me have a shred of dignity. But she could have at least said, “Are you ok?” It surprised me that she just turned her back as though I wasn’t there. The shock to my body didn’t initially feel bad, but as I write this devotional, replay the mental tapes and acknowledge that I knew I had fallen, I am feeling just a little achy.

Prior to the fall I answered the phone, listen to the requested instructions and there I was in pursuit (interpreting the spoken and unspoken requests)- carrying out the task of opening conference doors, greetings guests most cordially, opening window to let air circulate in the conference room, having small talk and awaiting the intended parties which were really suppose to be meeting. It was my mission to fill in- make the atmosphere more comfortable, smile pleasantly, answering the questions as best I could and respond intelligently –I at least hoped. Not as soul seemed to notice that my transparent halo was crooked, or that my clothes possibly were a little rumpled! So my mission was accomplished! None of the guests noticed as I reflected that just seconds before that conversation –I had literally and figuratively picked myself up off the stairwell, dusted my shocked body off and entered the department’s waiting area to greet our guests. Outwardly I was composed, inwardly I was shaken!

How often have you done the same thing friends? Fallen and had to quickly get moving! As I’ve heard it said, “Keep it moving!” or how about this one? “You don’t have time for sniveling, big girls/big boys don’t cry!”

I had fallen as I descended the stairs in a hurried pace. Many times in life as we are climbing so many ladders, negotiating many kinds of stairwells in our life we may get hurt along the way carrying hidden scars with the appearance of having it all together. I’d like to think that God desires that we view these stairs or ladders as personal challenges or trials we face in life. Some challenges we get through with ease and others that’s just not the case.

These challenges may be evident for others to witness as we go through, the operative word being through! Who dictates the time piece? Often it’s out of our control, or possibly it’s negligence or poor planning or maybe a mistake? Whatever it is, the duration may take us through days, months and possibly years. Some challenges are a cake walk others are no joke! These corporate ladders/stairwells, marriage ladders, parent ladders, spiritual ladders, religious ladders, depression ladders, drug ladders, the greed ladders, the sickness ladders, confusion ladders are often much too much! You fill in the blank and we miss a rung, miss the mark and fall. Hopefully not to our detriment! But be assured friends that God’s words in the 2nd Corinthians are a sure cure for our hurts:

We are pressed on every side by troubles, but we are not crushed and broken. We are perplexed, but we don't give up and quit. We are hunted down, but God never abandons us. We get knocked down, but we get up again and keep going. Through suffering, these bodies of ours constantly share in the death of Jesus so that the life of Jesus may also be seen in our bodies. 2Cr 4:8-10(NIV)

Surely we’ve incurred set backs, a fall from grace, an awkward moment in life and you had no clue it was coming! You believed that your journey from here out was smooth sailing? So you thought your life was supposed to pan out in one way and then another route occurs-right before your eyes and there you are flat on your back looking up or possibly lying face down. In your spirit, break out in a warrior dance, praise Him, lift your hands and your hearts and know that you survived the fall and it didn’t kill you!

Thank God you survived! Thank God for the on lookers like the young student that saw me tumble and never uttered a word or a hand! Thank God that you too have enough spring in your spirit to look forward to the days ahead.

For our present troubles are quite small and won't last very long. Yet they produce for us an immeasurably great glory that will last forever!
So we don't look at the troubles we can see right now; rather, we look forward to what we have not yet seen. For the troubles we see will soon be over, but the joys to come will last forever. 2Cr 4:17, 18 (NIV)


Thank God I wasn’t left by the way side, crumbled! That’s for you and me-the Holy Spirit desires that we keep climbing, and not be shy about filling in!!! Now go on and enjoy the reminder of your day as you hum I’LL Make It by Hezekiah Walker!

Joyfully submitted by Linda Mose Meadows Author of:
The Blessedness of Believing

No comments:

You’ve Got A Friend

  One of my favorite  songs is: “You’ve Got A Friend (originally by Carole King with Roberta Flack ) This song came rushing to my mind as I ...