Wednesday, January 9, 2008

Being Grateful for Here and Now


May the Lord of hope fill you with all joy and peace as you trust in him, so that you may overflow with hope by the power of the Holy Spirit. Romans 15:13

Oh this is wonderful! That I am sure of is what was resonating in my spirit. Instead of continuing to work beyond 5pm, waiting for my husband to arrive so we could journey home, I had the bright idea to shut the computer down, close the folders and leave like others with common sense and prepare to end the work day. So there I sat on the bench, with book in hand, tote and lunch bag by my side and I began to breathe in and out. This was truly calming. I recognized the divine-the divine moment of the here and now.

God was truly in the atmosphere and I recognized immediately that He also dwelled in me, my very breath!

The trees swayed, the warm breeze was refreshing and the beautiful blue water that cascades and moves around the fringes of Hampton’s campus is truly a site to behold. So it just felt good to be outdoors and present in this moment.

I then opened and resumed my reading of BeBe Moore Campbell novel: Singing in the Comeback Choir. And reality of her singing career[is shared with] Maxine:

“When I was in my prime, I was so proud of my voice, but I didn’t really appreciate it. I’d hit a note that could crack glass and wonder how I got there. I’d be holding that note long enough to pass out and searching in the crowd to see if anybody important was listening. And I’d be all the way back down before I remembered that I hadn’t even enjoyed it: not getting there, not the being there, not even the coming back. I was so busy trying to get somewhere.” Pg 318

Did that ever hit me like a ton of bricks friend.

I read the passage at least three times. Glanced up and appreciated that there was a young man skateboarding, zooming past me. He moved effortlessly it appeared with ease and sheer enjoyment. Apparently he had mastered this skateboard. As I marveled at this student I really appreciated what God was expressing to me in real time! And really began to appreciate how triumphant we can live if we pay attention and value our life’s moments. Admittedly we can miss out on the important personal and developmental milestones-living! Wouldn’t you agree that the Holy Ghost is amazing?

Friends God has spoken through BeBe Moore Campbell’s character Lindy. Lindy’s drive to reach stardom, get from there to here, her drive to have a stellar singing career and grab the brass ring, was admirable but she understands that she missed the mark, missed the opportunity to celebrate all of life’s offerings and be content in the moment!

Well, indeed the revelation that Lindy had as she expressed herself was a healing moment for me. I too have hurried through life, desiring immediate changes and like Lindy have missed so many opportunities to spiritually tune in and rejoice along the way instead my focus was fixed on anticipating the next life’s issue, the next and the next!

It was cathartic- I read on and there it was-Lindy placed her hands to her mouth and kissed them. I then knew she who battered by racism, alcoholism, guilt and anger was finally appreciative, thankful in her soul for her life and her songs. This surely was a moment of personal worship-not about her accomplishments but of God’s tender grace and mercies.
Be joyful, always; pray continually; give thanks in all circumstances.
I Thessalonians 5:16-18

My spirit uttered, Lord I thank you! And my grocery list of thanks began to roll out of my mind! Lord I thank you for the finally being fifty and free. Free to look back and not wonder, I now know it was you who kept me! I won’t be embarrassed about my setbacks. I can stop sweating the small stuff and remember to appreciate all the simple abundance you’ve provided for me! I thank you because I know it’s a miracle to just be able to open my eyes and see! See all you want me to see, to feel all that I feel and to love all that I love. God I will never worry so much about reaching the plateau without being thankful for being able to scale the summit!
What is your spirit uttering? What of God’s grace in your life?

Today let’s get our spiritual skateboards out and move like that young man on campus, being assured, confident, healed, joyful, grateful and confident that God is the wind beneath our wings! And for those of us a little frail from the journey, fear not-be sure to breathe deeply and you enjoy the view!

“So I pray that God, who gives you hope, will keep you happy and full of peace as you believe in him. May you overflow with hope through the power of the Holy Spirit.”
Romans 15:13

But let all who take refuge in you rejoice;
let them sing joyful praises forever.
Protect them,
so all who love your name may be filled with joy.
For you bless the godly, O Lord,
surrounding them with your shield of love.
Psalm 5:11-12
Prayerfully Submitted: Linda Mose Meadows
2/08
Read other devotional writings under Blessed Chronicles

No comments:

You’ve Got A Friend

  One of my favorite  songs is: “You’ve Got A Friend (originally by Carole King with Roberta Flack ) This song came rushing to my mind as I ...