Saturday, January 24, 2015

PATIENCE, PATIENCE!



You Are The Living Word by Fred Hammond
“Living Word” was written by Hall, Noel Christopher / Hammond, Fred.
(Bread of Life sent down from glory,
Many things you were on earth,
A holy king a carpenter,
You are the living
Bread of heaven, sent down from Glory
Many things you were on earth,
A holy king, a carpenter,
You are the living word
(2x)
Awesome ruler gentile redeemer,
God with us the living truth,
And what a friend we have in you,
You are the living word
(2x)
Jesus, Jesus, thats what we call you,
Manger born, but on a tree,
You died to save humanity
You are the living word
(4x)
oh oh oh,
oh oh oh,
oh oh oh oh oh oh,
oh oh oh oh oh oh,
ohhh oh
You are the living word
(3x)
Jesus Jesus
that’s what we call you
Jesus Jesus Lord
oh oh oh oh oh oh
ohhhhhh oh
You are the living word
(3x)
Don’t you love those lyrics: “You are the living word!”
On this particular morning’s commute by bus, I felt like Jill Scott’s lyrics “off to work beaming all the way! ” As the bus zoomed through the early morning traffic, hurried past commuters, and snow jacketed children huddled at their bus stops, I caught a quick glimpse of the young man that I’d see often cradling the morning’s/day’s newspaper-strutting in cadence fashion on the sidewalk. In an instant thought I wondered how his newspaper business was impacted with the advent of on-line subscribers? Now that might cause one to step up his sales pace. His outdoor work attire was a  neon colored vest. I surmised that that was a precautionary measure, so motorist would see him as he dashed in out of traffic, providing carside sales.
I just felt that surely he must have a great heart- a positive temperament as he paced bellowing that the paper was for sale. I believe God fashioned him with an upbeat disposition?  Disposition made to take on “the elements!” Lord knows it was brisk that morning and I wondered if his neon vest, khaki slacks were layered in some kind of warmth. But  my thinking shifted!  Immediately I wanted to chuckle out loud and burst out with hearty laughter because a wonderful memory surfaced.
She is clothed with strength and dignity;
she can laugh at the days to come. Proverbs 31:25,26
In that split second it was a warm summer afternoon, I was walking down Highgate Avenue receiving instructions from my industrious, younger middle brother Steve who had a newspaper route. I have to ask Steve how old he was when he started his paper route. Steve’s had a great personality with easy-spontaneous humor all his life. A real people person who is liked and loved by most. I believe he delivered the morning and evening newspaper. Probably he met the truck for the paper drop off, pulling a wagon and then loading and carrying a side sack of heavy newspapers as he rode his bike. No such thing as subscribing to The Buffalo Evening News on the internet. Now what possessed me to help? I am not quite sure what prompted my cooperation. Possibly it was the pay, he promised. Maybe it was sheer noisiness or that spirit which says, “That’s easy! You can do this too!” Does that spirit ever convince you of the same?
I don’t know too many siblings that eagerly cooperate unless there’s some financial incentive. At any rate I started out zealous. Steve knew each family and or person that was his Buffalo Evening News Clientele and where they wanted and expected their paper to be delivered. Mail boxes, front porches, side screen doors, milk boxes, dog houses-whatever. Neatly tuck and keep it moving that was my task. Can you detect that my enthusiasm tappered out quickly. So being a true big sister, I placed the newspaper where I wanted not necessarily understanding that I was disturbing the natural order and flow of business. Next day his customers awaited his drop-off and they weren’t pleased. He said, “Lin what did you do?” Customers that normally went to the side door found their papers everywhere but where they expected. Needless to say my help was not needed!
Isn’t it just like us to constantly do things our way, when order has been set and things are just fine. Our impatience can mess up a good thing!
I thank God that Jesus exonerates us,  excuses our “know it all philosophies”, stretches out a loving arm and demonstrates a selfless love! His mercy endures-not predicated on climate! Oh yes my friends even overlooks our impatience. Here are a list of scriptures that will encourage you to keep your momentum and to appreciate and also exercise personal patience. Our Lord and Savior tolerates us and it’s time that we not be so quick to abandon the “paper routes” in our life that seem tedious. Maybe we can remember to serve others with greater grace, take heart and be dutiful regarding the things God has called us to do!
Jesus thanks for Steve’s attention to caring details and Fred’s wonderful lyrics!
The Lord is not slow about His promise, as some count slowness, but is patient toward you, not wishing for any to perish but for all to come to repentance. 2 Peter 3:9
Shared with a Transparent Heart,
Linda Mose Meadows, Author of the devotionals:
The Blessedness of Believing
A Devotional Journey of Life’s Lessons and God’s Promises;
Destined to Receive, Reflections and Devotionals Celebrating The Love of God
About these ads
Occasionally, some of your visitors may see an advertisement here.

No comments:

You’ve Got A Friend

  One of my favorite  songs is: “You’ve Got A Friend (originally by Carole King with Roberta Flack ) This song came rushing to my mind as I ...